Re: cellular home security system questions

Now you are spilling some important info. Your wife has a very serious
concern about her safety when you are not at home. And believe it or not, if
you are leaving her, when she has these concerns, you can't be comfortable
while your out of town which may affect your focus. By the sounds of it,
whether it is a daily topic of discussion or not, her stress level, when you
are not at home rises over her feelings of not being secure. The last thing
she needs is to have that ear piercing siren go off in the middle of the
night due to cheap and/or improperly installed equipment. There is alot to
consider when you start looking into, not only property protection, but
personal protection. Yes, the dollar figure goes up and it is not a case of
merely adding electronics. There is a whole design thing for the interior,
as well as the exterior, of  your home. On the high side, it could involve a
electronic home security design/sales/technical person, an electrician, a
locksmith, a landscape person (believe it or not), and if you and/or your
wife "really" have some concerns, that have not come out yet, a building
contractor. As far as the shatterproof windows (impact glass), they are
about triple the cost of a regular window, plus if you are thinking about
changing windows, Florida is now under a state wide uniform building code.
This means that, regardless of where you are located, you will need to come
up to the hurricane codes when doing any type of major renovation. They are
good, will deter the smash and grab, and give you protection during the
storm season.

One thing to remember with security systems. They do not "protect" anything.
They can only "detect", "communicate" and hopefully "deter". Before you
spend any money, I would suggest you get a good understanding of your wife's
comfort level. By the sounds of it, she has some deep concerns. When I hear
the words "rape and kill", I know the client is not necessarily concerned
about that bracelet they received for their birthday. The game changes.
Don't tailor a price to this until you know where you are going. That might
bite you worse than that guard dog. :o]

"kyle" <cartesiankyle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I told my wife it would be able $1k.  After the cellular equipment and
> such, I'll be pushing $1.5K.  She still hasn't bit as far as believing
> a home security system is really going to provide any sort of immediate
> safety to her when I'm 2000 miles away working during the week.  Her
> complaint is that so what if the alarms go off.  By the time the police
> arrive the burglar will have either raped,killed her and taken whatever
> they needed.  I told her we can install a deafening siren to alert
> neighbors and such but she said is that going to keep her alive?
>
> Are the prices reasonable or could be cheaper via a package deal?
>
> ps- what about the shatterproof glass?
>

> Bob Worthy wrote:
> > "kyle" <cartesiankyle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > G. Morgan,
> > >
> > > Thank you for opening my eyes to the situation..
> > >
> > > I like the idea you suggested with the cellular communications.  THat
> > > is basically what I wanted to do.
> > >

> > > I have shopped around and am quite stunned with how much the 5800
> > > series products cost.
> >
> > People might be stunned at how much a 2 story lakehouse in Florida is
worth.

> > > DO I need a 5800 series repeater? Let me know if I am missing anything
> > > with my order for a 2 story lakehouse in florida:
> > >

> > > 1 x  Ademco / Honeywell LYNXR24 Wireless Install Security System with
> > > 24 hour rechargeable battery for UL residential fire applications
> > > 1 x  Honeywell / Ademco 5816-10KT 5816 Door/Window Transmitter - 10
> > > Pack
> > > 2 x  Honeywell / Ademco 5819WHS Wireless Integrated Shock Sensor,
> > > Processor and Transmitter (White)
> > > 4 x  Honeywell / Ademco 5894PI Wireless 80 lb. Pet Immune PIR Motion
> > > 2 x  Honeywell / Ademco 5808LST Wireless Smoke/Heat Detector
> > >

> > > $1,442.65
> > >

> > > THat is quite a ticket!
> > > I am wondering if I should just invest in a
> > > guard dog and a .45 for half the price?
> >
> > A quality guard dog, professional training, (don't try to DYI a guard
dog,
> > you will get bit, so avoid the doctor bills), food, vet bills, dealing
with
> > all the crap, a quality handgun, training, permit, ammunition, trigger
lock,
> > etc. You may be just as stunned at that ticket. But wait! Burglar
poisons
> > dog, steals gun, kills someone, legal fees defending yourself for not
> > securing gun. Guilty or not, you will still be invited to the picnic.
Your