Re: Installalation Tips and Tools

On Sat, 20 May 2006 23:01:20 GMT, "Robert L Bass"
<robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Solid core is fine if the tech knows what he is doing...
>
>Bingo!  The proper technique is not hard to learn.  Instead of _cutting_ the
>insulation you use your cutter to grab and _pull_ it off the end of the
>conductor.
>
>As to the other gentleman's question about flexing, in the USA most burglar
>alarms utilize plug-in "wall wart" transformers.  The first few inches of
>the low voltage wire from the transformer to the control panel is exposed.
>The transformer is sometimes removed when the panel is being serviced, the
>wall is being painted or whatever.  Any time that happens the wire is flexed
>a few times.  Using stranded cable for this run simply avoids possible
>problems down the line.

C'mon you idiot!

If the wire isn't nicked it could sure put up with being
plugged/unplugged a couple of hundred times easily without damage!

I've never heard such bullshit in my life!

>> One the other hand stranded wire is less problem
>> prone since it takes more effort to nick all the
>> strands and overall more flexible.  The danger
>> here is that you have to use a spade or crimped
>> connector on the end (or tin the end) so that no
>> loose strands touch a neighboring terminal on the
>> panel.
>
>Exactly.  That will help avoid problems.

Using solid core will eliminate problems, moron. Oh sorry I forgot,
you can't strip them without nicking. It's so obvious you have little
real-world installation experience.

>There's another reason I like using solid core wire for sensors.  Solid,
>22/4 cable happens to be an almost perfect fit for the 1/4" hole we would
>make with a feeler bit when drilling through wall headers and footers.
>Unlike stranded core cable, it will remain pretty straight when you poke it
>through, making it easier to thread the wall, especially when there are gaps
>like the shim space around a window or door.  It's just easier to use and if
>you strip it right it doesn't create problems.

Julian