Re: Installalation Tips and Tools

> Solid core is fine if the tech knows what he is doing...

Bingo!  The proper technique is not hard to learn.  Instead of _cutting_ the
insulation you use your cutter to grab and _pull_ it off the end of the
conductor.

As to the other gentleman's question about flexing, in the USA most burglar
alarms utilize plug-in "wall wart" transformers.  The first few inches of
the low voltage wire from the transformer to the control panel is exposed.
The transformer is sometimes removed when the panel is being serviced, the
wall is being painted or whatever.  Any time that happens the wire is flexed
a few times.  Using stranded cable for this run simply avoids possible
problems down the line.

> One the other hand stranded wire is less problem
> prone since it takes more effort to nick all the
> strands and overall more flexible.  The danger
> here is that you have to use a spade or crimped
> connector on the end (or tin the end) so that no
> loose strands touch a neighboring terminal on the
> panel.

Exactly.  That will help avoid problems.

There's another reason I like using solid core wire for sensors.  Solid,
22/4 cable happens to be an almost perfect fit for the 1/4" hole we would
make with a feeler bit when drilling through wall headers and footers.
Unlike stranded core cable, it will remain pretty straight when you poke it
through, making it easier to thread the wall, especially when there are gaps
like the shim space around a window or door.  It's just easier to use and if
you strip it right it doesn't create problems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics