Re: Ademco 50P - Unable To Disarm

Don said:

>Thanks for the review.  I will implement your, Crash's and Rapid's
>advice to create a Master code for day-to-day use rather than the
>Installer Code.

Okay, I'm sorry I jumped on you.  If you like the number you are currently
using for the installer code and don't wish to learn a new one, then
program in a completely new installer code, then create a master code
consisting of your old installer code.  You get to keep using the same
number, except now it will be a master code.

I wasn't clear from your system description whether you have any auxiliary
power supplies.  If not, it sounds like you may be pushing the limit.  The
quick and easy way to get the auxiliary current draw is not to calculate
it, but rather, to measure it.  Set your meter on a current scale that will
handle at least 2 amps.  Disconnect everything from terminal 6, connect the
positive meter lead to terminal 6 and the negative meter lead to all the
wires you removed from terminal 6.  Read the current:  the panel is
specified for a maximum of 750 ma aux power.  Personally, I prefer not to
push it to the limit.

You can get a rough idea by referring to spec sheets:  7 keypads at 40ma
each, expansion modules at xx ma each, and so on.  If you were seriously
overloading the power supply,. it would let you know.

However, your batteries may be inadequate.  Since you have smoke detectors,
your system is supposed to operate for 24 hours on batteries, though I
doubt the battery police will be knocking on your door.   To calculate the
standby time, take the measured current draw and add another 300 ma for the
control panel itself, then divide that total into the total amp-hour rating
of the batteries you are using.  This isn't really the absolutely correct
way to calculate this, but it will put you ballpark-close, and save me a
lot of typing.

Finally, I'd suggest you get at least one 6160 keypad.  Your system is big
enough for an alpha keypad to be of value, and it's particularly useful for
programming purposes.

- badenov