Re: Installalation Tips and Tools

On Tue, 23 May 2006 06:08:51 GMT, G. Morgan <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 May 2006 02:41:37 GMT, julian <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>>In BC - you ARE from eh Frank - all alarm technicians who have a
>>Trades Qualification Cert can make one change to the electrical system
>>of a building. They can install a wire-in transformer on any existing
>>electrical outlet or suitable junction box. An extension ring can be
>>installed if the outlet is flush mounted. But that's it folks,
>>electricians must be called in to do everything else.
>

>Oh man-- you just opened a can of worms.   Are you saying that TQC
>techs can physically interrupt  <any -( his choice) circuit<s>> ???

Yes I am. But there are restrictions and that's the only modification
of the electrial system an TQ'd tech can do. The TQ is a specific BC
only certification and is designated an SA restriction under the
electical code. I have a electrical contractor's registration
certificate and I take out electircal permits online.

Can of worms closed.

Once upon a time alarm techs were not allowed to run phone jacks. The
tel co had to come out and install at every location. Nowadays, it
seems like EVERYBODY is doing it and not always correctly either.

>Is it CA code to have mains <-----( your country's word)  inside the
>can ?

Mains is a word used in UK. At least every time I've ever heard the
word 'main' it's always been a poster from the UK. Never heard it used
in Canada or BC anyway.

>>If you are a lick-and-stick company - Alarmforce are you listening? -
>>you can get around having qualified techs by using wall warts. SNIF
>>alarms was the same.
>>
>>The only reason I now use the plug-in xfomer when possible is to
>>provide surge protection. But plug-ins must be out of the way -
>>basically inaccessible - or the place gets a wire-in.
>

>All systems in the US use a plug-in x-former.

Julian