Re: Installalation Tips and Tools

G. Morgan wrote:

> Oh man-- you just opened a can of worms.   Are you saying that TQC
> techs can physically interrupt  <any -( his choice) circuit<s>> ???

Nope.  They can install a wire in transformer though (as long as it's
properly mounted on a junction box).  I've seen some wired to electrical
outlets with an extension ring but that means the circuit is no longer
dedicated to the alarm system (you can plug something else in).  We use
transformers with fly leads/connectors on both the primary and secondary
ends.  The secondary side is mounted directly to a knockout in the can
and the primary is attached to an "eleven ten" box or extension ring.
There's no exposed cable at all if all the wire's run into the back of
the can and you can't accidentally "unplug" the security system.

> Is it CA code to have mains <-----( your country's word)  inside the
> can ?

Nope.  "Mains" isn't used to a great extent in CA unless the electrician
happens to be from Great Britain.  And it is acceptable to have 110VAC
inside the can as long as there's a physical seperation between the high
voltage and the low.  Some Silent Knight and Sureguard panels have the
transformers inside the can.

> All systems in the US use a plug-in x-former.

And now I know why...  :-)