Re: Installalation Tips and Tools

On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:02:25 GMT, Frank Olson
<Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Rapid wrote:
>> Frank Olson wrote:

>>> Why would the wire "flex" a "bunch of times"?  I realize that you guys
>>> int he US really like those screw-in "wall warts", but isn't the screw
>>> supposed to discourage the customer from unplugging it?  And wouldn't
>>> you use a plug that was "out of the way" and not prone to occasional
>>> use?  Our contract stipulates that we must have a dedicated unburdened
>>> circuit for the panel.  Around these parts we use a wire in
>>> transformer, and all solid core wires.
>>

>> here in the states if we used a wire in xfrmr we would have to have a
>> high voltage electrician come in to wire it to stay within code, since
>> us alarm guys are low voltage licensed.  That's why we use the wall
>> warts.  I'm sure that wouldn't stop some but .........What do you do up
>> there?  Can a low voltage guy wire in an xfrmr to the high voltage
>> [110V]or do youse guys just do it and damn the torpedos.
>> [like I'm sure many do down here]:)
>

>Running the wire and installing the box technically requires an
>electrician.  The customer sets this up before our guys come on site.
>Installing the transformer is pretty well a "no brainer" although an
>Electrical "C" ticket (limited license) is often listed as a
>requirement.  We pull permits on all our jobs, so they're done right (no
>exceptions).

In BC - you ARE from eh Frank - all alarm technicians who have a
Trades Qualification Cert can make one change to the electrical system
of a building. They can install a wire-in transformer on any existing
electrical outlet or suitable junction box. An extension ring can be
installed if the outlet is flush mounted. But that's it folks,
electricians must be called in to do everything else.

If you are a lick-and-stick company - Alarmforce are you listening? -
you can get around having qualified techs by using wall warts. SNIF
alarms was the same.

The only reason I now use the plug-in xfomer when possible is to
provide surge protection. But plug-ins must be out of the way -
basically inaccessible - or the place gets a wire-in.

Julian