Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

>>> And the DMX dimmers actually control the light how?
>>
>> Most use triacs.
>
> Yup.  And the triac is controlled by a microprocessor
> switching the gate current on and off at least 120 times
> per second.
>
> Of course, you (Robert) are responding to a message intended for
> Marc.  :)

It's a forum.  :^)

>> I understand you.  I'm fairly certain Marc does, too.
>
> I am confident he does not.

Perhaps not but he and I both know how triac dimmers work and I know you can't switch them on and off more than 120 x per second.

>> FWIW, Marc has built a DMX-512 compatible
>> lighting controller for home use.
>
> I wonder if he created the software that actually runs in the
> microcontrollers inside each dimmer / load controller...

It's not about the software.  There are limitations of the hardware itself.  If you want to use a triac you're not going to switch
it on/off more than 120 times a second, regardless what software you use.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics