Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

>>> Think of it as me building a DMX512 or X10 dimmer.
>>> How does it actually create the varying intensities?
>>> By turning on and off the light many times per
>>> second.  That's what I'm doing.
>>
>> No.  DMX512 does not "turn[] on and off the light off many times per second".
>
> DMX doesn't, but the DMX dimmer does. That is EXACTLY how EVERY SOLID
> STATE DIMMER works.  Even a DMX dimmer and same with an X10 dimmer.

The DMX dimmer switches the current on 120 x per second.  The only thing that changes is how long it waits after zero crossing to
switch it on.  It can't switch the current off again in mid-phase.  It can't turn the load on and off more times because it has to
wait for zero crossover for the current to turn off.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics