Re: Controling Holiday Lights

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 01:37:24 GMT, ANDREW GREGORY <4pyros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   I am looking for a X-10 control program that is easy to program sequences
> down to a tenth of a second to do some dancing lights in my 45 foot

Not going to happen.  X10 is too slow.

>   I have seen all the ready made charismas light hardware and software but I
> do not have the time or money to go that route and was hoping to save some

You can save time by spending money.  Or save money by spending time.
You will need to determine where on that scale you need to be.

> of my investment in X-10 that has served me well all these years leading up

You can use X10 for the slow stuff (1sec or slower) and start adding
faster stuff for the faster effects.

As for software...  I do my own.  Sorry.

You can find more software and hardware info at sites such as
http://computerchristmas.com/  (highly recommended)  See their "how-to"
and forum sections.

If you aren't comfortable doing 120vAC component wiring, controllers can
be purchased, but they aren't what I would call cheap.

Long and boring hardware details follow...

-----------

If you are up to doing 120vAC component wiring, you can save money by
spending time.  You can build controllers using a solid-state relay
(SSR) controlled from a parallel port and switching a 120v circuit.  Or
for cheaper you can build your own SSR using an opto-coupler (to protect
the parallel port) and a triac.  I have been able to buy SSRs cheap
enough on the surplus market that I haven't bothered with triac
circuits.  For example, this looks like it would work well:

  http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/SRLY-18/500500/18_AMP_SOLID-STATE_RELAY,_3-15VDC_CONTROL_.html

  (http://www.allelectronics.com/ then Relays then Solid-State)

home page at:
  http://www.crydom.com/products/productFamily.aspx?id=22
detail spec:
  http://www.crydom.com/userResources/productFamilies/22/crydom_ez.pdf

The 3-15vdc control input means most PC parallel ports should be able to
control the relay.  The 240vac at up to 18amps means you can switch
about as many lights as you would ever put on one circuit.  (Probably
you want to keep the number under 50%, or less than 9 amps because these
relays will need a heat sink to keep them cool when running large loads
or high ambient temperatures.)  That particular relay is "zero crossing"
which minimizes the interferance to TV and radio reception, but also
means you cannot make a light dimmer or ramp brightness up or down as
well as a "random" switching relay.  At under $10/ea buying a dozen is
maybe half of retail price.  (A typical PC parallel port can typically
control 12 such relays.)  Sometimes you can find even better deals.

AllElectronics also lists a 1amp SSR for $1.50. that might be enough for
each channel.  Can't find good specs on it though.  However at that
price I'm tempted to buy a dozen just to play with.  Small enough to
mount right on the outlet and probably easy to fit four of them into a
four-gang metal box with two duplex outlets...

I build my controllers in sets of four (four independently switched
outlets in a metal box) with a short 120vAC plug for power and an RJ45
(8 conductor "network" jack) for control input.  (of the 8 control
wires, four (two pair) control the circuits, two (one pair) provide
ground, and the last two (one pair) provide power (which these simple
relay boxes do not need or use).  I use the standard power-over-ethernet
wiring for the power distribution and use what would normally be
"ethernet" wires for the control signals.  Then I can use up to three
such boxes per parallel port.  Because I use standard jacks I can use
whatever off-the-shelf patch cord I want between my parallel port
adapter and the box.  I've used up to 100ft patch with no problems.

I've toyed with the idea of building an expansion for the parallel port
to control more boxes, but it seems too tedious so I haven't.

Anybody have a source for cheap PCI parallel port cards (e.g. four
parallel ports on one card)?

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com