Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 02:13:08 -0400, Robert L Bass <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> sylvan wrote:
>> I'm talking about the hardware, and you are talking about the protocols
>> to talk to the hardware.
>
> I don't see why you consider MIDI too slow to accomplish the task.

I'm wanting the hardware to control TRIAC or SSR switches, eg a parallel
binary I/O port.  With that I can turn on and off a light (or anything
else) at a rate over 1000 times per second.

This allows all kinds of creative fades to On, Off, or anywhere in
between at 100% the whim of my self-written software.

MIDI cannot do that and was never intended to do that.  MIDI is a
control protocol which is used to tell my hardware what to do.  I'm not
interested in another protocol that will tell my hardware what to do.  I
am trying to build hardware.  :)

> The MIDI protocol isn't inherently slow and the MIDI hardware

MIDI is inherently slow.

MIDI runs at several bytes per second.  Each command is a few dozen
bytes.  Do the math.  It's slow.

Thanks for your offer, but it is the wrong direction for me.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com