Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

> And the DMX dimmers actually control the light how?

Most use triacs.

> I'm looking at the problem from the bottom -- how to build a dimmer.

Not any more.  You explained that already and I understand you.  I'm fairly certain Marc does, too.  His point is that your design
criteria may not yield what you want.

FWIW, Marc has built a DMX-512 compatible lighting controller for home use.  I had references to his work on my FAQ... until
hurricane Charley came along.  Oh, well.

I'm quite interested in your design.  I hope you can make it work to your satisfaction.  These kinds of projects tend to inspire
people to produce commercially viable products and that is good not only for the DIY folks here but also for retailers like me who
cater to them.  :^)

Whatever protocol you choose one you're at that point, I hope you'll share about it here as the job progresses.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics