Re: Controlling Holiday Lights

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:35:17 -0400, Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> touting this "1000hz" approach as being as providing "all kinds of creative
> fades" and "anywhere in between" when as a practical matter, your "1000hz"
> approach is much cruder than even the simplest X-10 dimmer.

I don't know how come I cannot seem to communicate this...
Perhaps today's batch of posts will connect.

How do you think the X-10 dimmer actually fades the light?

> And it pales in comparison to DMX-512 with 255 distinct values and the dimmer

And the DMX dimmers actually control the light how?

> Or do I
> misunderstand something quite completely  -- wouldn't be the first or last
> time ;-)

I think so!

You are looking at the problem from the "top" -- how to control a
dimmer.

I'm looking at the problem from the bottom -- how to build a dimmer.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com