Re: X10 replacement?

"Marc_F_Hult" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:126bi21satrrf9scm8fr60cfm88m2mqeld@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:26:23 GMT, "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>> And electricians currently balk at installing HA because current HA
>>> lighting
>>> will not stay 'unbroken'. Until professional electricians are eager to
>>> install HA, it will not thrive IMO.
>>
>>Hardwired electrician friendly HA lighting (i.e.:  Centralite, ALC) is out
>>there already but few will pay the cost and fewer electricians will
>>install
>>it.
>
> Right. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, although it is clear that my
> words did. I've retrofitted hardwired lighting in my house but I'd
> still be looking for a contractor had I tried to get a local
> electrician to do it Hardwired can be bulletproof. It's nor rht the
> wiring is unfriendly, it's the retrofiting that is hard to estimate in
> advance. In my case, would have ended up paying time and materials on
> a job that could be stretched out interminably.

One thing that makes retrofitting hardwired harder for me was wall texture.
Here in California walls are almost always textured in newer homes.
Hardwiring will mean cutting the occasional hole.  On a smooth surface wall,
thats no big deal, but texture matching is a real PITA.  Other places I have
lived its smooth finish, which is quite easy to match.