Re: X10 replacement?

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:tbpai29i617sk9mpaq66gf5rq5ujhf75iv@xxxxxxxxxx

> And electricians currently balk at installing HA because current HA
> lighting
> will not stay 'unbroken'. Until professional electricians are eager to
> install HA, it will not thrive IMO.

Hardwired electrician friendly HA lighting (i.e.:  Centralite, ALC) is out
there already but few will pay the cost and fewer electricians will install
it.  I was headed that way until we got a steal on the home I am moving
into.

Since retro wiring for H/W control is not practical in my new home I am
looking at Zwave, UPB, and Insteon.  At a functional level I don't see the
differences between them that Marc has espoused, and am still dithering over
which way to go.  They all are close enough in $/control point to be
competitive, but reliability and long term breadth of product line is still.
I am looking for a single tech solution with a minimal number of interfaces
since WAF for me also means that she has to be able to fix minor problems
when I am not here.