Re: X10 replacement?

Hello Marc,

>>You mean those little push-button timers?
>
> No.  I meant a simple manual dimmer. I mean that the majority of folks do not
> do _any_ major work on electrical system. Period. Household 'lectricity is
> dangerous. Electricians work on electrical systems.

Mostly people around here call a handyman to install a dimmer if they
don't want to do it themselves. But seriously, most of the people I know
do that themselves.

> And electricians currently balk at installing HA because current HA lighting
> will not stay 'unbroken'. Until professional electricians are eager to
> install HA, it will not thrive IMO.

I would agree. Stuff needs to be better engineered and built. It doesn't
help if you open a defective appliance module and the innards of the
relay fall into your lap (happened to me...). Even our Rottweiler stared
at that mess in disbelief.

But that is not the only requirement. To entice people to either install
HA themselves or contract an electrician to do it for them requires:
Advertisement, advertisement, more advertisement. Home Depot displays,
TV ads, full page newspaper ads, "purchased" articles, articles in
Martha Stewart publications and similar magazine, etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com