Re: X10 replacement?

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 22:26:23 GMT, "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> And electricians currently balk at installing HA because current HA
>> lighting
>> will not stay 'unbroken'. Until professional electricians are eager to
>> install HA, it will not thrive IMO.
>
>Hardwired electrician friendly HA lighting (i.e.:  Centralite, ALC) is out
>there already but few will pay the cost and fewer electricians will install
>it.

Right. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, although it is clear that my
words did. I've retrofitted hardwired lighting in my house but I'd
still be looking for a contractor had I tried to get a local
electrician to do it Hardwired can be bulletproof. It's nor rht the
wiring is unfriendly, it's the retrofiting that is hard to estimate in
advance. In my case, would have ended up paying time and materials on
a job that could be stretched out interminably.

>Since retro wiring for H/W control is not practical in my new home I am
>looking at Zwave, UPB, and Insteon.  At a functional level I don't see the
>differences between them that Marc has espoused, and am still dithering over
>which way to go.

I don't think I've exposed any functional differences in environments
for which they are suited (but see above  clarification ;-)  And  RF
simply will not work in some environments.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org