Re: Z-Wave RF range

> If it is required to install a reasonable
> spread of other modules acting as
> repeaters then the manufacturers
> need to tell that to potential customers
> in clear words...

Actually, they do.  That is very prominent in all of the literature I've read  on Z-Wave.  It isn't considered a weak point but a
feature.

> I hope they don't bury that in the fine
> print since that would lead to lots of
> "It don't work" returns.

Not at all.  In promoting the mesh RF network concept, Z-Wave manufacturers make a point of explaining this.  When you think about
it this is actually to their advantage.  It encourages people to buy more devices.

>> I didn't get the impression you were
>> being unfair. It's Dave Houston's
>> deliberate misrepresentations with
>> which I took issue...

> Ouch. There is another guy at the s.e.d.
> newsgroup who had to nail his fully
> occupied Cessna down on a freeway.

That's OK as long as there are no wires running across the highway.  The problem is wires are invisible until you get real close.

> On the AA flight we got a real VIP
> reception. All the fire engines and ambulances Frankfurt could muster
> seemed to be there. And they cleared the whole FRA airspace for us. Imagine
> that, it's a hub like Chicago.

I heard a story (don't know if it's true or not) about Frankfurt, Germany's ATC being really rude.  As the story has it, sometime in
the late 40's a US pilot landed his 4-prop airliner, crossed the hold short line and stopped to check the airport chart (the
taxiways were something of a maze at the time).

An angry ground controller barked, "American Boeing ######!  Vat are you do-ink"?

Pilot: "Ah, sir, I've stopped my airplane."

ATC: "Vhy haff you shtopped your airplane zair"?

Pilot: "Ah, sir, I'm checking the chart to see how to get top the ramp."

ATC: "Haff you neffer been to Frankfurt before???"

Pilot: "Ah, yes sir.  We came by several times in '42 but we didn;t stop."

> Our roofer offered that as well. After the
> down payment, of course, because it
> would have cost more. I looked at it and
> decided to go with the usual 30 pound
> felt double-layered. Not just because of
> price...

The price is the same here no matter which material you choose.  The major cost is the tile.  The new surface is less flammable (I
think it's fiberglass and something else) than tar and felt.  AFAIK, the latter is pretty noxious stuff when it burns but that
didn't enter into the choice of material for me.  The new stuff supposedly lasts longer.  At $40,000 for a replacement job, I want
this stuff to outlast me.  :^)

> Someone from Sweden told me that
> builders over there are going back to felt. Don't remenber the reason, maybe
> rot or mold underneath because it doesn't
> breathe and moisture can condensate
> on the underside (that touches the wood).

I'd be a little skeptical of that information if I were you.  The biggest problem is moisture from precipitation coming through --
not moisture accumulating underneath.  In fact, if the attic moisture barrier above the ceiling is properly installed there really
shouldn't be a condensation issue for the wood beneath the roof.

> There was a discussion to change
> that but that could take north of 200 years :-)

Heck, by then they will have destroyed the place anyway.

>> His movies are mostly just silly.  He's
>> so wooden it becomes a sort of
>> comedy.
>

> We just don't like movies with violence
> in there. Ok, I confess, I do like Westerns.

The problem with westerns is that victims always get right up again.  It teaches children that there are no real consequences of
violence.  One amazing thing in this country is that the FCC gets its panties in a knot over a 2-second flash of an aging rock
star's bosom but no one even bats an eye over all movies like Matrix and Jurassic Park is considered children's fare.  Go figure.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics