Re: Z-Wave RF range

> No, that's different. People are used to phones
> conking out while walking, they know that from
> their cell phones. But a button that's glued to a
> wall and suddenly quits is considered "defective"
> in the eyes of a non-technical consumer.

The comparison doesn't hold.  Mr Houston is trying to convince you that things running in the 900mHz band have an average range of
20-25 feet.  That is total BS and he knows it.

> It's like with cars. A tire blow-out is considered
> as something that can happen. An engine that
> quits is, nowadays, considered something that's not supposed to happen.

Appliances fail.  Lights burn out.  HA components occasionally need service.  The issue here isn't whether things can fail.  The
question raised is what is the range of Z-Wave, a 900mHz RF system.  I say it's a good deal more than the 25-30 feet some have
claimed.  Experience tells me that.

>>>Else there is going to be the usual rash
>>>of unhappy customers like you have it
>>>with X10...
>>
>> I don't have unhappy X10 customers.  I refuse to sell the stuff.
>
> I can sure understand why. That's also why
> I wouldn't want to go into the HA biz myself
> yet ;-)

If you're waiting until there are no problems, forget it.  You'll never get there.  Every industry always has problems.  I choose to
work in this trade because I enjoy it.  It's also modestly remunerative.  :^)

>> No problem.  I'll let you know how
>> it works for me anyway.
>
> Yes, please let us all know.

>> Many (most?) of those are non-towered
>> anyway.  Some only have UNICOM
>> service which is operated very sporadically.
>> Some have nothing at all -- pilots simply
>> "self announce" before they maneuver in
>> the area.
>
> That's exactly how this airfield works. The
> runway lights are "keyed on" by keying the
> mike 4-5 times. They do that right over our
> house and a 5W transmitter packs a punch
> if it's only 250ft away :-(

I once had some fun with a lady friend.  We were flying over a non-towered airport in CT just before dark.  I was a student pilot
and my instructor was in the right seat.  I was at the controls.  As we approached I pointed out the airport to her below my left
wing.  I said, "Hmm.  They forgot to turn on the lights" and then pretended to broadcast, saying, "Uh, Jim?... Yeah, this is Robert.
You forgot to turn on the lights again."  Then I keyed the mic a few times and the lights came on.  I muttered into the intercom,
"That guy's always forgetting..."  My instructor gave a little smirk and neither of us let her in on it.  :^)

> Until there is a fire. You might want to
> get out as fast as possible when that
> stuff starts to burn. Remember the
> disaster at Duesseldorf airport? I used
> to live close to it when that happened.
> The people in there were killed by toxic
> fumes, not the fire.

There's plenty of more noxious stuff than Visqueen to burn in a house.

>>> I had a test generator from there.
>>> Oh man... but it somehow worked.
>>
>> From Brazil?  What brand?
>
> I don't remember if it was from Eudgert
> or another brand. It puzzled people
> visiting my lab when they saw a front
> panel with all Portuguese on there.

A few weeks ago briefers told Dubya Bush that two Brazilian soldiers had been killed in Baghdad.  Bush began to weep.  Through his
tears he asked, "How many are in a brazillian"?

> In our house Visqueen was only used for the
> vapor barrier under the cement bed that all
> floors have. But I can only tell you that in the garage it crumpled wherever a wee bit stuck
> out. Ok, that's 35 years now but I expect
> construction to last a lot longer than that.
> Aluminum does.

I've worked in attics that had Visqueen installed quite a few years ago.  I never noticed any of it becoming brittle.  I wonder if
contact with chemicals leaching out of the cement as it cured might have been an issue.  Not being a chemist I couldn't tell say but
if you were to claim there's Visqueen inside a Z-Wave transceiver I'm sure Dave would tell you that it will fail within weeks.  :^)

>> And idiot politicians who can't even act.
>
> Arnold sure does a much better job than the one before, IMHO.

What is it with California anyway?  You guys have millions of geniuses working in Silicone Valley yet you hire moron ex-actors as
governors.  Oh, well.  At least this one can't become president.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics