Re: Z-Wave RF range

Robert L Bass wrote:

[...]

> Considering the success of cordless phones, wireless LANs and so on, I'd say that the vast majority of homes are not like yours.
> Speaking of phones, if cordless phones don't "cope" well in your home do you condemn them all as unacceptable everywhere else?

No, that's different. People are used to phones conking out while
walking, they know that from their cell phones. But a button that's
glued to a wall and suddenly quits is considered "defective" in the eyes
of a non-technical consumer.

It's like with cars. A tire blow-out is considered as something that can
happen. An engine that quits is, nowadays, considered something that's
not supposed to happen.

>>Else there is going to be the usual rash
>>of unhappy customers like you have it
>>with X10...
>

> I don't have unhappy X10 customers.  I refuse to sell the stuff.

I can sure understand why. That's also why I wouldn't want to go into
the HA biz myself yet ;-)

>>Or in the case of contractors the post-install complaints which makes them turn their
>>backs on the technology if that festers.
>

> RF systems work quite well in most locations.  X10 festers.  From what I've learned so far from experienced users (that
> automatically excludes Mr. Houston who once admitted he has no experience at all with it), Z-Wave works remarkably well.  My home is
> large enough and spread out enough that it should provide a reasonable test platform for Z-Wave.  As soon as I install it I'll let
> you know how it's working.

>>>My home is what I consider "medium large"
>>>-- 3,800 sf under air and almost 3,000 sf
>>>non-AC space.  I have two sets of wireless phones.  The business phones are from Sony.
>>>They work everywhere except out by the
>>>mailbox (50 feet from the front of the garage). My wife's personal line is another brand.  It
>>>works well in 3/4 of the house, poorly in the
>>>rest and not at all outside.
>>
>>Our house is about 3000sqft and the phones
>>we use are always pretty professional. None
>>of the cheap stuff. Right now AT&T, before
>>that it was Cincinnatti Microwave.
>

> Judging from what you've said so far I concur that your house is not a good home for RF based systems.  Since X10 is mostly a pile
> of $#%& that means you'd better stay away from Insteon, too.
>

>>>They have a nasty habit of letting end
>>>users beta test their products without
>>>telling them.
>>
>>Sounds like a large software company... ;-)
>

> I hear that.  :^)
>

>>>As you probably already know, I sell HA
>>>products.  After I test the stuff for a while
>>>I'll offer it for sale in my online store.  If you decide you'd like to test a few units
>>>let me know.  If they're problematic I'll
>>>take them back.
>>>

>>Thanks for the offer but I'll wait a little. I am
>>pretty sure the range won't work where I live.
>

> No problem.  I'll let you know how it works for me anyway.

Yes, please let us all know.

>>>Perhaps.
>>
>>RF stuff out here is even more tough to
>>operate. We are right next to a runway
>>plus the Fedex freighter fly directly overhead
>>and radio in their approach. Even the TV
>>falls off the cliff sometimes.
>

> I'd be surprised if proximity of the airport is much of a problem. GA aircraft radios are not very powerful to begin with (usually
> less than 10 Watts) and signal strength falls off geometrically with distance.  If there's a NAVAID on the field you could be
> getting some fun signals but most are not in the same band as anything you're likely to use for HA.  ATIS, a continuously broadcast
> report of ground weather observations, should also be far from the frequency of your gear.
>
> I'm not sure what kind of power the ATC radio puts out, but you said runway rather than an airport so I wonder if perhaps you're
> referring to a small airfield.  Many (most?) of those are non-towered anyway.  Some only have UNICOM service which is operated very
> sporadically.  Some have nothing at all -- pilkots simply "self announce" before they maneuver in the area.

That's exactly how this airfield works. The runway lights are "keyed on"
by keying the mike 4-5 times. They do that right over our house and a 5W
transmitter packs a punch if it's only 250ft away :-(

>>>Perhaps California is very different from
>>>Southern New England. In Florida we have
>>>concrete block walls and slab floors.
>>>Roofs are shingle, tile (like mine) or (rarely)
>>>metal.  Exterior walls are insulated but not
>>>very much.  Our walls are over a foot thick.
>>>The outside is concrete block with stucco.
>>>Inside that is a 2" insulated space and then
>>>sheetrock.
>>
>>Very different here. Two by fours, siding on
>>the outside, drywall inside and AL-backed
>>fiber inside, that's pretty much it. Our house
>>in Europe looked like a fortress in comparison.
>

> Every modern home I worked on in CT was insulated.  The usual treatment today is to install unfaced batts and then tack a layer of
> clear poly across the entire wall.  There are two reasons this is popular.  First, it's cheaper.  Second, it makes for an extremely
> vapor-tight barrier -- much better than paper or foile-backed batts which are open at every stud.  Aluminum backed wool is virtually
> unheard of though some folks still use paper-backed.

Until there is a fire. You might want to get out as fast as possible
when that stuff starts to burn. Remember the disaster at Duesseldorf
airport? I used to live close to it when that happened. The people in
there were killed by toxic fumes, not the fire.

>>I had a test generator from there.
>>Oh man... but it somehow worked.
>

> From Brazil?  What brand?

I don't remember if it was from Eudgert or another brand. It puzzled
people visiting my lab when they saw a front panel with all Portuguese
on there.

>>>Ours is glass wool with a sheet of
>>>plastic.  Attics down here are shallow
>>>since roofs are not built for snow load.
>>>There's almost no usable space up
>>>there, except in the middle 10' or so
>>>of each wing.
>>
>>Plastic backing wouldn't last more than
>>a couple years in our heat...
>

> I suspect you're wrong about that.  The plastic commonly called Visqueen is made from low density polyethelene, a type of
> thermoplastic with a melting temperature around 230ºF.  It doesn't break down from prolonged exposure to temperatures lower than its
> melt point.  Even in the SoCal desert attic temperatures never reach 230ºF unless there's a wildfire present and at that point you
> have more serious concerns than the vapor attic barrier.

In our house Visqueen was only used for the vapor barrier under the
cement bed that all floors have. But I can only tell you that in the
garage it crumpled wherever a wee bit stuck out. Ok, that's 35 years now
but I expect construction to last a lot longer than that. Aluminum does.

>>>I redid the master bath in my CT home
>>>some years ago.  It had always been
>>>cold and I hate walking on cold tile in
>>>bare feet so I installed radiant floor heating.
>>>You're right.  It is wonderful!  In Florida I
>>>only need heat a few times a year but my
>>>wife (tropical girl that she is) needs heat
>>>any time the outside air is below about
>>>80ºF or so it seems.  :^)
>>
>>Hmm, mine does, too, even though she is
>>from Berlin/Germany where it's 0F or less
>>much of the winter.
>

> Heh, Angela occasionally asks me to take her on a drive up North during the winter so she can see what snow looks like up close.
> She's only seen it at a distance in the Alps during several trips to Europe.  I know her better than to ever do that.  She'd make me
> drive straight home the moment she fealt chilly air.  :^)
>

>>>Here we don't need insulation as much
>>>as physical strength to keep hurricanes
>>>and alligators out.
>>
>>Our here it's eartquakes and bears ;-)
>

> And idiot politicians who can't even act.

Arnold sure does a much better job than the one before, IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com