Re: Z-Wave RF range

Bill Kearney wrote:

>>Why not cite the actual numbers instead of misrepresenting them?
>

> Dave?  Misrepresent z-wave info?  No!  Say it ain't so!  He's had it in for
> damn near anything other than X-10 for ages.  Sad, really.
>

>>The url cited indicates that z-wave goes up to 30-40 feet. Given typical
>
> home
>
>>and lot dimensions (and the undesirability of inadvertent house-to-house
>>signaling) these distances seem to be purty near _optimum_. More range and
>>power is not necessarily better. Greater distances are designed to be
>
> achieved
>
>>by repeaters.
>

> Agreed.  I'd much rather have the RF coverage stay inside the general
> footprint of my residence than have to deal with excessive interference
> should my neighbors decide to automate as well.

OTOH such a weak RF link leads to inconsistent operation. A link that
used to work nicely might quit out of the blue one day just because
someone hung a large white board. The professional ones are aluminum-backed.

Out here the houses that were insulated "extra good" also have
insulation inside some interior walls. This is aluminum backed as well.
For example, I can see the cell tower from here and the signal strength
indicator on the cell phone pegs at the max when in the living room.
Walk into the room next to the garage just a few steps away there is one
wee flickering bar remaining and after a while ... "Not in Service Area".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com