Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

Robo wrote:
> "Frank Olson" <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>Robo wrote:

>>What "application" are we talking about??
>

> get lost easily?

Nope.  I don't consider any security panel as a fire alarm system.  A
fire alarm *system* is dedicated to one thing...  A burg panel/security
system can report on a variety of events and doesn't require
specifically "listed" devices to do so.

>>Connection to a LISTED fire
>>alarm?  We're talking about interconnection to a security panel.
>

> in this app it is a fire alarm

Nope.  It's a security system.  A fire alarm system is a whole different
"animal".  The OP would have a hard time installing a *LISTED* fire
alarm panel...  for this you would need the proper certifications,
permits, etc.

>>There's nothing in NEC that forbids this.  You're monitoring a contact
>>point.  How many contacts do you know are LISTED for a particular
>>application?
>

> on a fire alarm, all of them

We're not talking a "fire alarm device" here are we??

>>What's to prevent me from hooking up a push button switch
>>to bypass a zone in my alarm panel?  I could use a standard light switch
>>for that.  It's certainly not "listed" for the application.
>

> for a burglar alarm you are correct
> but
> again this app is a fire alarm

No.  It isn't.  It's a burg/security system.

>>To the OP.  There is nothing in any code or statute that forbids you to
>>interconnect your AC smoke alarms to your security alarm panel.  You
>>can't connect it to a LISTED fire alarm panel, though.
>

> are you saying the OMNI is not listed for household fire?

I don't doubt that it is.  Did the OP need to preserve the UL fire
listing or did he simply want to monitor his 110VAC smoke alarms?  I
work with LISTED fire alarm systems all day.  They're manufactured by
companies like Edwards, Simplex, Notifier, FireLite, and Mircom.  Like I
said...  you can hook *any* switch up to a burg panel.  It doesn't have
to be "listed" for the specific purpose.  I can monitor any number of
"points" in my Elk M-1 Gold and none of them have to be "listed" for the
particular purpose.