Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

Robo wrote:
> "Frank Olson" <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>What's the difference between the relay in a 110VAC smoke alarm and a
>>24VDC smoke alarm?  Nothing.  There is no "code violation" as long as you
>>maintain a clear physical separation between the 110 and the low voltage
>>connections to the panel.
>

> here in the US we can only use parts in a fire alarm that are "LISTED" for
> the application.  If you check the relay for a 110V smokes you will see that
> it is not LISTED for interconnection to a fire alarm panel.  Maybe I used
> the wrong terminology when I said against code.  When the inspector flags it
> I just assume it a code problem.  What is the correct term?

There is nothing in the NEC that states you can't connect the relay of a
110VAC smoke alarm to a burg/security panel.  Most manufacturers of
110VAC smoke alarms *recommend* the relay not be used to interconnect to
a security system.  I believe this link will prove helpful:

http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals/firex/110-278F.pdf