Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

Robo wrote:
> "Frank Olson" <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>There is nothing in the NEC that states you can't connect the relay of a
>>110VAC smoke alarm to a burg/security panel.  Most manufacturers of 110VAC
>>smoke alarms *recommend* the relay not be used to interconnect to a
>>security system.  I believe this link will prove helpful:
>>
>>http://www.icca.invensys.com/manuals/firex/110-278F.pdf
>>

> yes,but it does say you have to use parts that are LISTED for the
> application.  that link specifically states not to use in the application we
> are discussing.  ie not LISTED for the application, ie not code.

What "application" are we talking about??  Connection to a LISTED fire
alarm?  We're talking about interconnection to a security panel.
There's nothing in NEC that forbids this.  You're monitoring a contact
point.  How many contacts do you know are LISTED for a particular
application?  What's to prevent me from hooking up a push button switch
to bypass a zone in my alarm panel?  I could use a standard light switch
for that.  It's certainly not "listed" for the application.

To the OP.  There is nothing in any code or statute that forbids you to
interconnect your AC smoke alarms to your security alarm panel.  You
can't connect it to a LISTED fire alarm panel, though.  Furthermore, no
Authority Having Jurisdiction is going to fail the application as long
as you meet code requirements regarding physical separation of the high
voltage (110VAC) from the low voltage (12 VDC).