Re: Insteon woes - I'm tempted to chuck the whole lot now.

 Jeff Volp wrote:
> "Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Bruce,
>>
>> Many folks share your concerns, but PC's and OS's really have
>> improved. Use a low-power PC (notebook, tablet, laptop, or small
>> motherboard), with XP and it won't hang (leastways my HA box hasn't
>> in ~7 years post W98SE), or make much heat or noise.
>>
>> Consider a fanless power supply and change the fan on the CPU (if
>> present) and replace the hard drive at every Presidential election
>> and it will run until obsolete jist like they do ;-)  Since
>> installing XP Pro, I can't recall any of the 3-5 computers that run
>> in the house 24x7 hanging up except from lightning (which also
>> took/takes out security panel, phone, network), while installing new
>> HW, SW or upgrade, or a few predictable circumstances (eg memory
>> fights between MS and Adobe w/ huge Photoshop files and MS Media
>> Center Edition when its doing most anything to do with 'media' ... )
>
> While I agree XP is MUCH more stable than W95, it still can lock up.
> There have been a few instances when the dreaded reset button was the
> only way to recover.  Even with a reboot every morning, things can
> get corrupted.  I still run some old applications, so maybe that is a
> factor.
>
> Jeff

If I had to I do have an old XP box that I could dedicate to translating
but I still see it as a weak link better served by a task specific black
box. To that end, Dave's efforts on the Rozetta seem to be bearing fruit
and RoZetta will be ready for testing soon so that will be my direction
for now.