Re: Insteon woes - I'm tempted to chuck the whole lot now.

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Bruce,
>
> Many folks share your concerns, but PC's and OS's really have improved.
Use
> a low-power PC (notebook, tablet, laptop, or small motherboard), with XP
> and it won't hang (leastways my HA box hasn't in ~7 years post W98SE), or
> make much heat or noise.
>
> Consider a fanless power supply and change the fan on the CPU (if present)
> and replace the hard drive at every Presidential election and it will run
> until obsolete jist like they do ;-)  Since installing XP Pro, I can't
> recall any of the 3-5 computers that run in the house 24x7 hanging up
> except from lightning (which also took/takes out security panel, phone,
> network), while installing new HW, SW or upgrade, or a few predictable
> circumstances (eg memory fights between MS and Adobe w/ huge Photoshop
> files and MS Media Center Edition when its doing most anything to do with
> 'media' ... )

While I agree XP is MUCH more stable than W95, it still can lock up.  There
have been a few instances when the dreaded reset button was the only way to
recover.  Even with a reboot every morning, things can get corrupted.  I
still run some old applications, so maybe that is a factor.

Jeff