Re: bad, worst, the worst, MARMITEK X10 Home automation!

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:49:03 -0700, sfn wrote:

>> I'm not sure what 9V Battery is used in your unit.  Most backup
>> batteries for digital alarm clocks in the USA are 9V like the
>> following and cost only a dollar or two.
>>

> Yes indeed it's the same type. But look at the price for one!
> $7.50 !!
> And I have only one device running with that type of battery.

No, no... that's the price for a pack of 6 batteries. I picked
that URL only because it has a good picture of the battery for
identification purposes.

I'm surprised these batteries aren't being used in Europe
anymore - they're widely available in almost any convenience
store, drug store, or supermarket in North America.

> But this issue wouldn't be really a problem to me, after all,
> if all the other points I mentioned weren't exisiting.
>
> Meanwhile I've been convinced that I can't expect more for the price
> it costs. Producing in a less number of units,
> handling the X10 products through a chain of a handful distributors,
> at a average price of $30 to $60 ,
> there would be no space left for a suitable todays gadget.

In my experience, everything seems to cost more in Europe. Whether
because of more limited market or higher taxes or just plain lack
of competition I can't say.  Certainly prices for Marmitek devices
seem to be 3-4 times higher than those with equivalent function
built to North American voltage/frequency specifications.