Re: how to fit x10 switches in a gangbox

"unfrostedpoptart" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Another thing to watch for: I've put some Switchlincs in 2 & 3
> gangboxes, including a three-day ordeal a few weeks ago

I learned this lesson myself, replacing the switches in my bedroom.

When I tore out and rebuilt my living room walls, I put an extra "gang" in
each box.  3 gang where I needed 2, 4 gang where I needed 3, etc.  Home
Depot sells a line of "build your own switchplate" covers, which have
outlet, decora, standard switch, and blank plates which snap together.

Most of my boxes have 2 decora openings for *lincs and a blank spot. The
blank spot is officially for "future expansion" but for the time being makes
a cozy location for neutral connections and pigtail wirenuts.