Re: how to fit x10 switches in a gangbox

On 3 Oct 2005 07:57:49 -0700, "Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <1128351469.480716.115270@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc F Hult wrote:
>> Mixing in some remote switches used in 2-way and 3-way applications in a
>> multiple switch box is helpful from both a heat and internal box volume
>> standpoint. It may be that you can reverse/change the locations of the
>> actual dimmer and the remote(s) to your advantage.
>
>I don't think you can do this. The load will only be wired to one box,
>correct? Unless there happens to be an extra traveler wire, you'd only
>be able to put the main switch in one location. Unless you go the
>transmitter-instead-of-slave-switch route.
>
>Also, most of the slave switches I've seen (PCS, Switchlinc) are the
>same size as the masters. What I do to make them fit is exchange all
>the wire nuts to the smallest possible size that will still make a good
>connection. That seems to help considerably.

Good point. You have to have enough conductors going to and from the right
places.

The X-10 slave switches I've seen/used are much smaller (1/2? 1/3? the
volume) than X10 dimmers  Distributing the heat load my be useful in some
cases -- Just another consideration ;-)

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org