X-10, IF, RF, Zigbee.. What to do?

I spend all my time researching home automation and never doing
anything because there seems to be a new technology around every
corner. This week a friend starts frothing at the mouth over something
called "Control 4" which can use either Wi-Fi or Cat 5. How do I
decide when to stop looking and start buying without risking
everything going obsolete in a year or two?