Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

"Beachcomber" <not_real@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> X10 Wish list:
>
> An outdoor appliance module with a rugged weatherproof design that has
> true EEPROM memory for its device and house code so it doesn't forget
> when the power is removed.
>
> The same outdoor module, but with dimmible lighting capability in
> addition to the features specified above.

It would seem that either of these has a problem where the module plugs into
an outlet.  This would somehow have to be protected.  I've seen exterior
outlets with flip up covers that might be large enough to weatherproof a
plug-in module.  Our solution for Christmas lights at the old house was a
plastic bag and tape.  The X10 plug-in modules we use have switches to set
codes, so they don't forget.

> A decent X10 web controller program possibly based on AJAX technology
> so the whole page doesn't need to be refreshed for status updates and
> a TCP/IP interface with DNS to interface the X10 world (powerline and
> RF) to a hardware box, just as if you were plugging in another
> computer to your router.  Also, something that completely gets away
> from the old serial and parallel ports, since these are becoming
> obsolete in the computer world.

Sorry, but this isn't my area.  Maybe someone else can contribute here.  The
new X10 CM15A controller interfaces through the USB port.

> Wireless X10 thermostats that can handle multiple temp sensors and
> multiple control points with status and telemetry data.   A single
> display that displays all the temp sensors in your house + outside
> temp, furnace run hours, etc.

This IS something that I've been thinking about for the home automation
market.  We use a multi-zone system here, and it certainly is the way to
save on heating/cooling.  But, running all those wires was a lot of work.
Being able to stick a temperature sensor on the wall like one of the X10
motion detectors would be nice.  And getting better data would help to tweak
the system for maximum efficiency.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff