Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

In article <vRMof.163344$qk4.69042@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Jeff Volp <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>"Beachcomber" <not_real@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> X10 Wish list:
>>
>> An outdoor appliance module with a rugged weatherproof design that has
>> true EEPROM memory for its device and house code so it doesn't forget
>> when the power is removed.
>>
>> The same outdoor module, but with dimmible lighting capability in
>> addition to the features specified above.
>
>It would seem that either of these has a problem where the module plugs into
>an outlet.  This would somehow have to be protected.  I've seen exterior
>outlets with flip up covers that might be large enough to weatherproof a
>plug-in module.  Our solution for Christmas lights at the old house was a
>plastic bag and tape.  The X10 plug-in modules we use have switches to set
>codes, so they don't forget.

This could be a unit like some of the portable GFCI units, with a cord,
and weatherproof enclosure with in-use cover.

Better yet, build it like one of the holiday lighting distribution stakes,
with 2-4 outlets, possibly individually controlled.

I'd also like to see some heavy-duty hardwired modules that could be
installed remotely from the device they are controlling, and do not
require that an appliance be plugged directly into the module.

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --