Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

> It would seem that either of these has a problem where the module plugs
into
> an outlet.  This would somehow have to be protected.

There are plenty of add-on outlet covering boxes out there.  Clear or
opaque, single, double, horizontal or vertical hinged, easy opening or
secured.  They're the 'right way' to put something into an exterior outlet
but have it reasonably protected from the elements.  Bearing in mind, of
course, that not all devices operate well at all temperatures.  Cold plays
havoc on things with relays.  Heat's the death of most IC-based devices.
It's extremely tough making a device that would work in outside environments
at a price point most people would be willing to pay.

> Our solution for Christmas lights at the old house was a
> plastic bag and tape.

Which won't work long-term because of humidity and condensation issues.  Not
to mention fire hazard.

> This IS something that I've been thinking about for the home automation
> market.  We use a multi-zone system here, and it certainly is the way to
> save on heating/cooling.  But, running all those wires was a lot of work.
> Being able to stick a temperature sensor on the wall like one of the X10
> motion detectors would be nice.  And getting better data would help to
tweak
> the system for maximum efficiency.

For control, wireless is nowhere near as reliable as wired-line.  For
something involving considerable risk, like HVAC, I'd be incredibly wary of
a control that wasn't wired.  Wireless is just too prone to interference
(accidental or otherwise).  For lighting it's usually an acceptable risk.
But for controlling the furnace, no thanks.  Having it run too often wastes
money, having it not running risks freezing pipes.

That said, a couple of wireless sensors feeding back to something
intelligent in wired connection to the furnace would be interesting.  If a
sensor goes on the fritz and reports a value dramatically different than
others the controller would have to be smart enough to recognize what NOT to
do about it.

Automating HVAC is a lot less trivial than it seems.  Properly handling
pressure, avoiding condensation, on/off cycling, the list goes on.