Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> There are plenty of add-on outlet covering boxes out there.  Clear or
> opaque, single, double, horizontal or vertical hinged, easy opening or
> secured.  They're the 'right way' to put something into an exterior outlet
> but have it reasonably protected from the elements.

Very good point.

> > Our solution for Christmas lights at the old house was a
> > plastic bag and tape.
>
> Which won't work long-term because of humidity and condensation issues.
Not
> to mention fire hazard.

Not to mention electrocution hazards.  The X-10 stuff is not designed for
outside use and baggies aren't an acceptable compromise.  Besides, baggies
don't do much to protect the modules from the cold, and lots of X-10 gear
starts to fail when the devices get cold enough.  Get an inline appliance
module and install it INSIDE the house on the branch that feeds the outside
outlet.

<stuff snipped>

> Automating HVAC is a lot less trivial than it seems.  Properly handling
> pressure, avoiding condensation, on/off cycling, the list goes on.

Absolutely.  There are an incredible number of potential "gotchas" in
dealing with automating HVAC.   Some of them are deadly.  Short-cycling a
furnace can cause an exchanger to burn through prematurely, releasing carbon
monoxide into the living areas instead of sending it up the flue.

--
Bobby G.