Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> <stuff snipped>>
>
> Not to mention electrocution hazards.  The X-10 stuff is not designed for
> outside use and baggies aren't an acceptable compromise.  Besides, baggies
> don't do much to protect the modules from the cold, and lots of X-10 gear
> starts to fail when the devices get cold enough.  Get an inline appliance
> module and install it INSIDE the house on the branch that feeds the
outside
> outlet.

Some people are paranoid about that.  I did almost get electricuted as a kid
from a frayed wire inside a metal floor lamp and grounded ham equipment.  I
know first hand the danger.  But I'm not paranoid.  I've worked with
electronics all my life.  Keep it dry and there is no problem.  We also
wrapped the inline electrical connections for floodlights in plastic to keep
them dry.  Outdoor sockets are GFI protected, and they will let you know if
there is any problem.  Again, they are Christmas lights, not a perminant
connection.  I can recall no problems with the X10 modules, but the cold
doesn't really settle into New England until after Christmas.

> <stuff snipped>
>
> > Automating HVAC is a lot less trivial than it seems.  Properly handling
> > pressure, avoiding condensation, on/off cycling, the list goes on.
>
> Absolutely.  There are an incredible number of potential "gotchas" in
> dealing with automating HVAC.   Some of them are deadly.  Short-cycling a
> furnace can cause an exchanger to burn through prematurely, releasing
carbon
> monoxide into the living areas instead of sending it up the flue.

Short cycling is a concern for both furnaces and compressors.  Also exhaust
temperatures should be monitored to protect against overheating,
condensation and freeze up.  But it isn't rocket science.  Actually, our
furnace pretty much takes care of itself with built-in sequence timers, and
is designed to interface with a dumb thermostat.

Jeff