Re: reasonable monthly rate

"tourman" wrote in message
> it absolutely amazes me that anyone would try to keep a 20
> plus year old panel of whatever make in service for any reason.

Actually a lot of things I buy lately are junk. Some things don't work
new out of the box. Some things stop working after just a few months
or a year. Gone are the days of good quality products and companies
which back up their products. Some electronic things you buy these
days don't even have the name and address of the manufacturer on it!
Not on box or in the poorly written limited instructions.

With that said, I'm buying old stuff now sometimes instead of new.
Like I bought an old 1950's Kirby vacuum cleaner for $5 at a 2nd hand
store. Still running great!

And some older alarm panels are much better than new. Like the old
Ademco relay panels. Not prone to damage from lightning or voltage
surges nor false alarms.

Radionics made some pretty good panels. They would hold up better than
other electronic panels to lightning storms. Except of course a nearby
or direct hit.

Also electronic things tend to break when new. If they are still
working after the first few months, they tend to work for a long time
if designed well.

And as I say, if it works, don't fix it!