Re: Ping: Jim (Napco PCI-Mini)

"JoeRaisin" wrote:

>> The topic is a law aimed at arming federal wildlife enforcement officers  and
>> certain other federal law enforcement personnel.
>>

> HR 675: To amend title 10, United States Code, to provide police officers,
> criminal investigators, and game law enforcement officers of the Department of
> Defense with authority to execute warrants, make arrests, and carry firearms.

Note that this bill does not create any kind of new police department.  A few
nutty bloggers have made a stink about the bill "bypassing posse comitatus" (a
phrase the crazies like because it includes the word posse, which feeds on their
dreams of riding off into the sunset chasing Muslims, pistols blazing, etc.) .
Many don't even know what the posse comitatus law is or why it's important.
It's the prohibition on using the US military as a police force.  HR675 does
nothing to abridge posse comitatus but that doesn't slow the rhetoric.  The
thinking is that since this bill originated during Obama's presidency (it was
actually under consideration for years by both Dems and Repugnants) it must
therefore be stopped.  :^)

Here's the text of HR675.  Like most other bills, it's plain English and has no
"hidden" text.

----------

H. R. 675
To amend title 10, United States Code, to provide police
officers, criminal investigators, and game law enforcement
officers of the Department of Defense with authority to
execute warrants, make arrests, and carry firearms.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
JANUARY 26, 2009

Mr. FILNER introduced the following bill; which was referred
to the Committee on Armed Services, and in addition to the
Committee on the Judiciary, for a period to be subsequently
determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of
such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the
committee concerned.

A BILL To amend title 10, United States Code, to provide
police officers, criminal investigators, and game law
enforcement officers of the Department of Defense with
authority to execute warrants, make arrests, and carry
firearms.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives
of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. AUTHORITY FOR POLICE OFFICERS, CRIMINAL
INVESTIGATORS, AND GAME LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS OF THE
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE TO EXECUTE WARRANTS, MAKE ARRESTS,
AND CARRY FIREARMS.

(a) AUTHORITY.-Chapter 81 of title 10, United States Code,
is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

§ 1585b. Law enforcement officers of the Department of
Defense: authority to execute warrants, make arrests, and
carry firearms

(a) AUTHORITY. - The Secretary of Defense may authorize
any law enforcement officer of the Department of Defense -

(1) to execute and serve any warrant or other process
issued under the authority of the United States;

(2) to make arrests without a warrant -

(A) for any offense against the United States committed in
the presence of that officer; and

(B) for any felony cognizable under the laws of the United
States if the officer has probable cause to believe that
the person to be arrested has committed or is committing
the felony; and

(3) to carry firearms.

b) PERSONS TO HAVE AUTHORITY. - Subsection

(a) applies to any law enforcement officer of the
Department of Defense whose duties include -

(1) enforcing laws enacted for the protection of persons
and property;

(2) preventing breaches of the peace and suppressing
affrays or unlawful assemblies;

(3) conducting, supervising, or coordinating
investigations of criminal activity in programs and
operations of the Department of Defense; or

(4) enforcing any rules or regulations with re1spect to
Department of Defense property prescribed by duly
authorized officials.

(c) GUIDELINES ON EXERCISE OF AUTHORITY.

 - The authority provided under subsection (a) shall
be exercised in accordance with guidelines issued by
the Secretary of Defense and approved by the Attorney
General.

(d) DEFINITION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OF THE
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.

- In this section, the term 'law enforcement officer
of the Department of Defense' means a civilian
employee of the Department of Defense who is any of
the following:

(1) A Federal police officer or detective as
classified by the Office of Personnel Management

Occupational Series 0083 (or any successor to that
series).

(2) A game law enforcement officer or special agent
as classified by the Office of Personnel Management
Occupational Series 1812 (or any successor to that
series).

(3) A criminal investigator as classified by the
Office of Personnel Management Occupational Series
1811 (or any successor to that series) and not
employed as a special agent of the Defense Criminal
Investigative Service (or any successor to that
service).

(b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT.-The table of sections at the
beginning of such chapter is amended by adding at the
end the following new item:

1585b. Law enforcement officers of the Department of
Defense: authority to execute warrants, make arrests,
and carry firearms.

----------

I can understand that anyone who has read some of the silly blog entries
concerning this bill and has not actually seen the bill itself might genuinely
believe it creates some sort of Obamastassi (as the OP of this meta-thread
referenced it).  That's an innocent mistake.  The current problem with American
politics is that extremists on both sides (well, actually all three sides now
that we've got the "Tea Party") try to demonize everything they see the "other"
side doing.  No concern at all is given to how any bill will Americans.

Repugnants see it as their god (small "g") given responsibility to "STOP OBAMA"
at every turn.  Dems see it as their duty to shove the Repugnants back in their
holes.  So nothing gets done or whatever does get done becomes so watered down
that it's close to useless.  The tea bag idiots see it as their Palin-given
responsibility to....  Hmm.  Scratch that.  Palin?  Responsibility?  Naah, that
won't fit.  These guys would be more useful if they'd just relax and smoke a
little of that tea.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass