Re: Zone Response Times (50ms or 750ms) for GEM-P816

On Aug 13, 7:37 am, HandymanYP <yeahpro...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks again Jim.
>
> I am using two GEM-RP3DGTL Keypads. Zone 12 is my last zone - nothing
> after that. Here's my zone breakdown:

<snip>
Hmmm I thought you might be using the RP1CAe2 keypad that has a built
in
EZM for four additional zones and that you possibly activated them in
the keypad, when you didn't need to.

Only thing I can think of now,  is that in the system configuration
programing that you told the system to look for zones 9 through 12 in
the section that asks if you want to ad an EZM ....   which you don't
have to do if you have wireless. I don't know what would happen if you
did that. Also recheck the position of the jumpers in the
transmitters. If you have only external contacts J1 should be in the
number one position. If you are using internal and external contacts,
the J1 jumper should be removed. You can use up batteries real quick
if you don't have the jumpers set right and weak batteries can cause
things to happen. Also, if you're using other than the batteries that
came with the xmitters, be careful .... there are some crappy lithium
batteries out there usually sold lots less expensive but they can
cause strange problems. By the way, in programing the transmitter ID's
make sure the last number is a number one if you're only using one
zone of the transmitter. And when you program a number one you don't
have to put a jumper across zone two terminals 2 and 3. This uses more
battery power.

You might try exchanging one or two of these "bad" transmitters with
others in the system and see if the problem follows the transmitters.
If it doesn't then ( as much of a problem as it may be), move a "bad"
shock sensor to another working window. See if the problem moves or
stays. And don't forget, you have contacts in those zones too. Maybe
try shorting out the contacts  for a while and see if you get false
alarms. If you've got a good meter, look at the resistance across each
component in the loop.

Other than that, (by the way, I presume that you're using the
Quickloader software and didn't use the "easy menu driven programing)
I'd suggest that you check the program for anything having to do with
zones 9 through 12 and make any necessary adjustments and then default
the panel back to factory and reload the program. The zone response
can be set in the zone features section but I don't think that would
have any effect if the zones were wireless. Did you increase or
decrease the supervisory timers? Don't. Have you used the Quickloader
status upload to determine the signal strength of all your
transmitters?  I never accept anything below a 6 and according to
Napco a 3 is the lowest signal you are supposed to accept. Don't
believe it. Check the end of line resistor options. I always choose no
EOL and put jumpers on the panel zones and on the rest of the zones
that are wireless I don't choose no EOL.

With regard to programing,  I've found that sometimes if you program
something and then erase it then reprogram it .... sometimes it really
doesn't erase or if it shows something is programed .... it's really
not. Back in the beginning when I started programing with a lap top, I
was doing a lot of changes during learning trial and error and
discovered this. If you make a lot of changes sometimes they don't all
take.

Or just default the panel and start from scratch with the programing.
With that few zones it doesn't take long.

If if were me and I'd tried all the above and I'd examined all the
physical aspects of the installation and found everything ok, I'd go
to the van and get another panel and install it. You don't have that
luxury. Which is one of the pit falls of doing it your self.

Oh and by the way, don't hold it against Napco for not talking with
you. They're only set up to talk with dealers because they just
haven't set up the time and methods for dealing with end users who
need to be explained every little detail about a panel. They have to
start with people who have some experience and/or have at least taken
some classes on programing. And there's a lot of dealers out there who
would really give them a hard time for providing information to what
they deem as their potential customers.  And obviously Napco would
rather give the time to the dealers who give them the bulk of their
business. You'll find (I think) all alarm equipment mfg's do the same
as Napco. Unfortunately (and your comments reflect this) .....now
days ...people who buy electronic equipment  retail are used to
calling the mfg and getting help. You have to remember that the alarm
trade is basically not a retail market. Yes, you were able to buy the
equipment but don't expect Napco to support you. .As far as they are
concerned, either you get help from the place you bought it
or....you're on your own. If you bought a Ford transmission you
wouldn't be able to get Ford to help you install or trouble shoot it.

Good luck.