Re: 60-806 help

brihyn wrote:
> On Apr 19, 12:52 am, Frank Olson <use-the-email-
> li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> brihyn wrote:
>>> Considering I'm a network engineer and manage around 150 servers
>>> myself, I don't really mind fixing my own computeer on a friday night.
>>> And having previously been in a position of qa'ing and doing component-
>>> level repairs on security and fire alarm circuit boards (read: I had
>>> to troubleshoot down to the individual integrated circuiit or circuite
>>> board trace), along with designing and implementing my own fully
>>> functional monitoring system at the previous house, this doesn't seem
>>> that bad to me.
>> Well, you're "one up" on me...  I would NEVER undertake to do a board
>> level repair on a fire alarm system...  But then, I run a service
>> company that has obligations that go beyond "fat fingering" a part of a
>> life safety system whereas you... manage servers...  Gee...  If my
>> server goes "down", it means I can't get emails...  Oh bliss!!!  :-)
>>
>>> Again, if I can get the programmer board and installer manual, I can
>>> reset the thing back to original defaults and reprogram it myself. And
>>> really, is having it unplugged right now worse than having it plugged
>>> in but unusable, as it was prior to me "randomly pushing buttons"???
>>> We've been here 6 months and up until now, the security system was
>>> useless.
>>> So thanks for the condescending attitude, but can we get back to
>>> actually answering my original question?
>> "Programmer board"???  Where'd you get that notion??  And all the
>> installer manual will tell you at this point is that you can't enter
>> programming mode while the system is armed.  There is no "east tunnel"
>> and there is no "back door" into your system.  What part of "hooped"
>> don't you understand, "Mr. Network Engineer"??
>>
>> You're back to "square one".  You have to replace the common control
>> board (easy for a Network Engineer that manages 150 servers), and then
>> program your system "from scratch"...  I won't say that'll be "easy" as
>> you're having difficulty understanding the concept of being "hooped"...
>>   but I can hope!  :-)
>
> Frank-
> My comments were not meant towards you originally. Your first 2
> replies were indeed helpful, and I don't doubt I messed up. And i
> worked for a fire/security alarm manufacturer as a QA tech. So I have
> a pretty thorough understanding of how the boards actually operate
> behind the scenes. I wasn't just seeing how shit worked. People's
> lives did actually depend on me knowing how to read a fire alarm's
> circuit board.
> But as for the rest your snarky reply, yeah, you don't get email. But
> there's a hell of a lot of critical systems that run on servers. An
> outage can cost a hell of a lot more money in 30 minutes of downtime
> in my company than someone walking away with everything in my house.
> [...]

So, we're all just a bunch of monkeys.  What does that say about you
coming here asking for help from us?

Did you bother to research the panel and it's operation before you
started punching buttons?  Maybe you should have looked for manual
before you fucked with it.  Yeah - you're a rocket scientist alright.

We've had a couple of IT guys try their hand at our company and with
only a few exceptions they couldn't cut it as alarm installers.  Most of
them are either too lazy to go into attics or crawl spaces or too
arrogant to take advice.

For a follow-up are you going to go to the local tattoo parlor, call the
guy an inbred ink-monkey and then ask for a tattoo?