60-806 help

ok, so common story, we bought a house that had a GE 60-806 security
alarm system, and previous owners claim to have no idea what the codes
were.
Last night I decided to start screwing around with it to see if I
could make any guesses. Wife suggested the street address, and that
didn't work, so I tried the address backwards (or so I think) and
voila, I was suddenly armed in stay mode.
Butttttt....
I can't turn the dang thing off. 1 <backwards address> (or anything
resembling the backwards address...numbers out of order, partial
numbers, etc) won't turn it off.
Unplugged the unit and battery overnight, but as I feared, the armed
status must stay in memory, as it is still armed 16 hours later when I
plugged it in. Left a door open as it beeps down to arming thinking
maybe that would suspend the arm mode, but yeah, just sounded the
alarm (luckily there's no longer phone service to the unit)
Soooo...
any way to force this thing to disable? am i missing something and the
code that i thought i entered last night just isn't working? (i enter
one, it asks for code, i enter the 5 digits, nothing happens)

If I"m ultimately forced to push the thing back to factory defaults,
is there an installer manual somewhere? and if I have to buy the
programmer keypad for the panel itself, anyone have a cost and/or
link?
Frustrated and locked in,
Brian