Re: swapping napco 1632 panel

> I'm not going to engage you in another
> argument...

It's not an argument.  We disagree on
what the law says or at least on what
it implies.  There's room in my thinking
for the possibility I may be wrong.  Is
there also room in your mind for the
possibility that you're in error?

> you have a good guess of who I am...

I hadn't given it any thought.  No offense.
I just replied to your comment because
we disagree.

> and I would like to keep our correspondence
> civil for as long as possible.

That's easy.  We can disagree without
being incivil.

> I am simply pointing out the fact that this
> activity may fall under NY regulatory provisions.

And I simply pointed out that the law refers
to engaging in the *business* of installing.
There's a significant difference IMO between
doing a favor for a friend and opening a business.

> Neither you or I know what (if any) fees this
> "neighborly" act entails...

True, but the limited information we have so
far does not point to any fee being paid. If
the OP is still reading this thread, perhaps he
can clarify that point.  Certainly if he were
being paid I would agree with you.

> I would also point out that just because no
> compensation may be demanded, a liability
> exists of anyone performing any type of
> work on whomever's property - good
> intentions, paid or not.

That depends on things like jurisdiction,
what might go wrong, whether the friend
represented himself as technically competent,
etc.  In the final analysis, you can be sued
for almost anything you do, so I agree with
you there.  However, liability isn't an automatic
thing.  Absent a contract and any for of
remuneration, most thinking people (jurors,
judges, etc.) would likely not look favorably
upon a friend suing his neighbor for an act
of kindness.  Can it happen?  Sure.  Is it
likely to happen?  Probably not.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass