Re: swapping napco 1632 panel

> As soon as you connect to the panel, download the current program and
> save it so you can upload it again in case of a 'fubar'.

Good point but for the sake of clarity, we usually refer to transferring data from the panel to the PC as uploading -- not
downloading.

> BTW, depending on what state you're in,
> this may be illegal for you to do unless
> you are a licensed dealer...

Sorry, but that is absolutely wrong.  There are no laws anywhere in the US preventing someone from servicing his own residential
alarm panel.  Likewise, anyone can help a friend, relative or neighbor for free without getting a state license.  If the gentleman
was doing it for pay, then we agree -- a license is required in NY State.

> You appear to be posting from New York,
> which has laws regulating "service" of an
> alarm system...

NY's licensing law applies to folks who do the work for pay -- not DIYers.

> You may find out that no good deed goes
> unpunished as it concerns your liability to
> the neighbor if something goes wrong,
> and the state for operating without proper
> licensing.

While the neighbor might be able to sue, he'd have to demonstrate gross negligence to go after a friend who only does the job as a
courtesy.  The state has no interest in neighbors helping each other out fixing an alarm when there's no payment involved.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics