Re: Tying in GEM-X10 into Napco Gemini 816 Alarm System Controller

On Mar 6, 11:51?am, yeahpro...@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I have recently had Slomins security (a central station alarm
> management company) install an alarm system in my house. They used a
> Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller. I'm trying to tie this into a
> home automation system I am starting to build. I see there is an X10
> integration module I can purchase (GEM-X10). I will be installing 3-
> way Switchlinc dimmer switches (2494m3) for my lights, which support
> both the Switchlinc protocol and X10 protocol.
>
> The following are some reference links for the products mentioned
> above:
>
> Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller:http://www.basshome.com/napco_gemini_p816_662_ctg.htm
>
> X10 integration module:http://www.napcosecurity.com/testframe.html?g-24gemx10.html
>
> Switchlinc dimmer switches:http://www.smarthome.com/2494m3.html
>
> I have all the installation and configuration docs in PDF format which
> I can send to anyone interested.
>
> What I want to do initially is have an event from the Napco Gemini 816
> (e.g. Alarm triggered) to send an X10 command to all dimmer switches
> to turn all of the lights connected through these dimmer switches.
>
> Before I purchase all of this equipment, I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to reconfigure the Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller
> for the X10 module? Do I need an "installers password" which would
> have been installed by Slomins?
>
> 2) Is there anything I am missing or is this a pretty straightforward
> thing to set up?
>
> 3) Any "gotchas" I need to worry about?
>
> Thanks!

Well, first off, I'm sorry to hear that you let Slomin's anywhere near
your house but you're in it for the duration now. I still haven't
figured out why people actually think that they're getting a good
designed system from a cookie cutter alarm company. Fortunately
they're no longer using proprietary equipment and they've cut down on
the length of their contracts, so you may eventually be able to get
someone in when your contract is up, who isn't only in the alarm
contract business. But anyway, I digress.

I don't use the smaller Napco panels, so I can't tell you if the 816
is compatable with their X10 module. However, whether it is or not you
don't have to use it to accomplish what you're trying to do and you
can save some money in the mean time. There's draw backs using either
device.

Instead of the X10 interface, get yourself a X10 Power Flash module.
( also available at Smarthome) Set the house code for the Power Flash
module the same as the X10 house code of the Switchlinc switches. The
Power Flash module input terminals can be hooked to the bell output
terminals of your 816.

You have three options on the Power Flash module on how you want your
lights to come on. But usually the option to flash all the switches
set to the same house code is used in conjunction with an alarm system
output. That doesn't mean you have to program all your light switces
to the same exact code. (Or you may want to).  Lets say you set the
house code of the Power Flash module to "B". Now if you're using the
house code "L" and unit codes 1 through 5 for one section of your
house ...... and House code "B", and unit codes 3 through 8 for
another section of your house .... When your alarm panel applies 12VDC
to the Power Flash module input terminals, only the light switches
programed to the "B" house code are going to flash, during an alarm.
So if don't have more than 16 switches and can keep them all programed
to the same house code, you'll get them all to flash.

I haven't used the Napco X10 module for quite sometime but I don't
think it will do this. If I remember right, you have to program all
the switches you want to come on, to both the same house code and unit
code, which eliminates them from being able to be controled
individually for other lighting control. Of course the advantage of
using the Napco X10 module ( if it *is* compatable with the 816) is
that you can cause things to happen to different X10 devices,
determined by different conditions that occur at the alarm panel. You
may want to use both modules and have the best of both worlds.

There's more to it, but that should get you started.