Re: 2 or 4 wire smoke detector question.

> Yah...but no amount of labels on wires
> will ever work when a bean-counter
> decides to cancel a phone line :-)

You've got that right.  The purpose of labeling
and documentation is two-fold.  First, it gives
fair warning to staff who might intend to mess
with it that doing so may interfere with the
alarm.  I like the stickers that say, "ALARM
WILL SOUND".  Second, it makes it harder
for the client to squirm out of paying for the
service visit to restore the alarm after they
screw it up.

BTW, I've had about the same percentage of
residential and commercial customers cancel
a phone line or otherwise interfere with their
alarm systems.  That seems to be pretty much
universal.  DIYers rarely do things like that
because they know their systems much better
than the average client with a professionally
installed alarm.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass