Re: 2 or 4 wire smoke detector question.

We got calls like that occasionally, too.  I had a slightly
different approach.  If I found out they had disconnected
the line a tech would go out and connect the alarm to
the remaining phone lines.  We charged our standard
rates for the visit unless it was after hours.

Once I explained to the customer that the problem was
caused by them canceling a phone line there was
almost never a problem.  I also made it a habit during
installation to place labels on phone lines used by the
alarm and, for business customers, to give them a list
of phone lines and electrical circuits which were critical
to the alarm and/or CCTV systems.

I don't know how many times this prevented mistakes
but I assume it was at least somewhat effective since
we didn't have a lot of canceled line problems.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics