Re: Andersen 400 Series Security contacts

On Aug 6, 11:47?pm, "Crash Gordon" <webmas...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I wouldn't ever use a spade bit on an expensive window...infact I've stopped
> using 3/8" spade bits for press fit contacts altogether...no matter how
> careful you are the hole is always slightly too big for the switch.
>
> I like the split tip or the split brad point bits the best. I use the spades
> for rough work and big ship augers for new construction rough-ins.

I sharpen all my bits, including spade bits. I keep one bit that I've
ground the sides off, a smidge. It does a good job and the right size
hole for recessed contacts. I also counter sink the holes slightly, so
the contacts fit flush or a little recessed so I can wipe the silicon
off with out leaving any smeared on the sill. .

By the way, with that reverse dilling method because of the larger
diameter (like 3/8 inch) the deeper you have to drill the reverse hole
so I usually don't use that method on the larger holes. Only up to
about 1/4 inch or so.