Re: An Inconvenient Truth - Unlicensed Bay Alarm Company.

Bob Worthy wrote:
> "secure15" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Bob Worthy wrote:
>>> "secure15" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>>  I am not a member of the NBFAA, so where did the "your organization"
> come
>>> from?  I am sorry your $'s don't get you anything, mine does. That is
>>> because Florida is the largest and most active State association in the
>>> country and we still don't belong to the NBFAA.....Right Bart?
>>>

>> My mistake in assuming you were a member. I interpreted it as a defense
>> of their puny efforts.
>
> :o]
>
>  I'm sorry my $500 to Local, State and National
>> Orgs get me diddly also!
>
> When Florida did try to go back to the NBFAA, when they had the AAA status,
> I was president of the AAF. That gave me a seat on the BOD of the NBFAA. I
> was there for two years and personally seen the NY situation and the vote to
> accept just one of the associations from NY as a member. Gee, was it Bart's
> group? It was a joke. My personal opinion, which may raise some eyebrows
> from the NY participants here, is that you guys need to get it together
> instead of being so split. Whats the matter, can't get along? We have 11
> regions in a state that is far more diverse than NY. Each region meets to
> handle regional situations on their own schedule. They elect a regional
> director who sits on the State Board of Directors. With the eleven regional
> directors, the executive Board, the fire and police officials, the two
> manufactures reps, the lobbyist, lawyer, and CPA, it is a 22 member board.
> The BOD meets quarterly, in a central location, with a General Assembly
> meeting for all members once a year at our trade show. We have merged our
> show with EHouse Expo. All members are welcome to attend the quarterly BOD
> meetings. All members receive a monthly colored glossy magazine, not a
> newsletter, called the Handshake, which keeps them up to date on everything
> going on, like training schedules in their area, legislative action,
> membership, regional reports, interest stories, advertising, etc. There is
> an executive director with staff. There are established committees and
> education and training is our main thrust. We trained our 10,000th
> technician this last year and the money received from training and
> membership stays in the Association. The NBFAA doesn't get a penny of
> membership or training. In fact, ask the NBFAA who orginally put them in the
> training business. It was Florida. They used our courses to get started many
> years ago. We have a paid lobbyist and have actually had four bills passed
> into law, on behalf of the industry, in the last four years. It is a 34 year
> old association with over 850 member companies. That is about a third of the
> total membership the NBFAA has nationally. Over the last thirty years, the
> relationship between Florida and the NBFAA has been a rocky road that will
> [...]
Nice take on the subject, Bob.
Yeah the NYBFAA wars amongst themselves as to who has to have the
biggest piece of pie, who gives the most $, who has the most members,
etc. They cut their noses off to spite their faces. The Local LI group
is the same way- I call it the city boys who are afraid to lose their
piece of the action, and prop themselves up as some saints to the
industry. I do Teaching for a LI Electrical Training Center for the
State Alarm License Course and some Seminars and A hands-on technical
Course- when I approached Local LI Board Members about Membership- the
Past Pres was against us- "conflict of Interest" but made out to me that
it was a Board "no" vote. A sitting Board member posited to try to
incorporate a training program but got nary a whit of excuses of why no
ones could make a meeting. Lets take it up next meeting attitude - never
confront the idea! So if I'm a member in good standing who decides to
open a training facility I'm automatically kicked out of the association?
The last few years of Board Positions has been a "trading Places" game
between the Pres, VP, Treasurer and Secretary- you do it this year!
Hopefully, with the new slate set to be elected in Oct. (a clean house)
we can get it to work-
One thing I can say is that the attitude of Electricians as thiefs to
their dinner is one of the impediments to mutual understanding-Too bad
that electricians account for over 80% of my students- seems they know
the value of education! They want to start a training program but down a
State accredited Training School with Licensed Proprietary School
Teachers that has the ability and the facilities to do it- as well as an
in place accredited job placement program- no, we'll just do it amongst
ourselves cause we know it all!
The Local Chapters do have regional meetings in Albany-for
directors/presidents etc. LIAA does have an executive director- the past
presidents sister! we do have an attorney and a CPA and Committees but
its only a 5 member board. No, the board meetings are a big secret to
the rank and file- for who knows what reasons. Their lobbying is as
effective as throwing a roll of toilet paper at a steel door. Of course
I was against mandatory inclusion in NBFAA as well as bowing to Fart
Didn't and his upstate cronies- but miraculously the "vote" was to
continue as a bunch of asshole sheep following a blind shepherd who as
I quote " puts an x on the back of the ones who kick". I'm sure the rant
will be a cleansing experience for my colon- "sloppy Joes for dinner
tonite!