Re: An Inconvenient Truth - Unlicensed Bay Alarm Company.

"secure15" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Bob Worthy wrote:
> > "secure15" <secure15@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >  I am not a member of the NBFAA, so where did the "your organization"
come
> > from?  I am sorry your $'s don't get you anything, mine does. That is
> > because Florida is the largest and most active State association in the
> > country and we still don't belong to the NBFAA.....Right Bart?
> >

> My mistake in assuming you were a member. I interpreted it as a defense
> of their puny efforts.

:o]

 I'm sorry my $500 to Local, State and National
> Orgs get me diddly also!

When Florida did try to go back to the NBFAA, when they had the AAA status,
I was president of the AAF. That gave me a seat on the BOD of the NBFAA. I
was there for two years and personally seen the NY situation and the vote to
accept just one of the associations from NY as a member. Gee, was it Bart's
group? It was a joke. My personal opinion, which may raise some eyebrows
from the NY participants here, is that you guys need to get it together
instead of being so split. Whats the matter, can't get along? We have 11
regions in a state that is far more diverse than NY. Each region meets to
handle regional situations on their own schedule. They elect a regional
director who sits on the State Board of Directors. With the eleven regional
directors, the executive Board, the fire and police officials, the two
manufactures reps, the lobbyist, lawyer, and CPA, it is a 22 member board.
The BOD meets quarterly, in a central location, with a General Assembly
meeting for all members once a year at our trade show. We have merged our
show with EHouse Expo. All members are welcome to attend the quarterly BOD
meetings. All members receive a monthly colored glossy magazine, not a
newsletter, called the Handshake, which keeps them up to date on everything
going on, like training schedules in their area, legislative action,
membership, regional reports, interest stories, advertising, etc. There is
an executive director with staff. There are established committees and
education and training is our main thrust. We trained our 10,000th
technician this last year and the money received from training and
membership stays in the Association. The NBFAA doesn't get a penny of
membership or training. In fact, ask the NBFAA who orginally put them in the
training business. It was Florida. They used our courses to get started many
years ago. We have a paid lobbyist and have actually had four bills passed
into law, on behalf of the industry, in the last four years. It is a 34 year
old association with over 850 member companies. That is about a third of the
total membership the NBFAA has nationally. Over the last thirty years, the
relationship between Florida and the NBFAA has been a rocky road that will
not be traveled anywhere in the near future. I know associations are not for
everyone but, do I see the benefit of an association? Yes, but only because
I participate which makes it work for me. I receive the benefits. I did not
see a benefit in belonging to the NBFAA, even when I participated at the
top.