Re: Ademco Vista Programming

I believe Jim has spent a large amount of time accumulating manuals for
security systems around the world.  His has a huge "private library"
dedicated to a specific industry, and I believe he's entitled to grant
membership to whom-so-ever he chooses.  If he also chooses to "charge" for
that priviledge, that's entirely up to him.  There is a cost associated with
running a website as extensive as Jim's.  As long as he's not *selling* the
manuals I see no problem with his trying to recover some of those expenses.
I've also seen a number of his responses to individuals requesting
information on a specific panel where he simply emails them the info
"gratis".  It's no more than what I would do for someone requesting a manual
for FireLite, Notifier, Edwards, or any other fire alarm system.  I just
don't have them all conveniently saved to a PDF.  Would I give out the
programming passwords or the "hacks"?  Not on your nelly.

I don't believe what Bass did was "right" either.  I'm certain he didn't ask
Honeywell's permission to post (or otherwise transmit) the login information
to all and sundry that ask (or to even volunteer to supply it whenever he
feels like it).  He does not "represent" (or act as an authorized agent for)
Honeywell or any of the other manufacturers whose products he "shills".  He
uses all sorts of lame excuses to support what he does, but what it all
really boils down to is his lack of ethics and the fact that he's nothing
more than an "installer wannabee" with a huge chip on his shoulder.  I've
seen his type before as I'm sure you have as well.  He's the guy that shows
up at the alarm association meetings complaining about having to respond to
AC power failure signals when the central station receiver he has to move
from his "office" to his bedside nightstand goes off at 2:00AM.