Re: Ademco Vista Programming

This end user seemed to know a lot about the names of the equipment that
most users would not. Knowing the name of the downloading software for one
and the name of the modem for another makes me think this end user more
savvy than most. I think he will need all he has going for him right away
because the first step of getting the Compass software going and talking to
a Vista 128FB with a 4100SN is not a strainght forward hook up. I have had a
lot of trouble especially when you have to use a serial to USB adapter. If
someone had a Vista 20P and still wanted to "upgrade" to another Vista
product I think they should already know what they're in for. Programing
relays in the Vista 128FB like the 4204 or 4101SN can be a time consuming
pain. Even though this guy isn't doing fancy elevator realys or custom relay
function, automation events can be cruel in the ways they refuse to work
sometimes. There are no real right or wrong ways to program some of these
events and relays, so it adds to the confusion when there are so many ways
to get to the same end result.  I hope someone is just as forthcoming with
the proper local if not national tech support phone numbers for this guy to
use, once he gets stuck, as they were with the other web information. I hope
he can convince someone at the other end to talk to him. I guess that is
where the real difference in DIY and the real thank you comes in. I know the
local trainer and he gets stuck on some of these relay configurations and
has to call for support himself. If working with the product daily and
teaching it for a living doesn't get you the full understanding I'd say that
proves it isn't that simple sometimes.
I'd suggest he consider using a 4297 so if there is a short on the polling
loop the whole thing doesn't crash and fall off line. It is always fun to
start to see dozens of zones showing faults because a small wiring problem
on an upstream polling loop wire.